First take a macro photo of a Trillium, then manipulate it in a photo shop program. OK I didn’t take this photo, my husband did, but he was willing to share.
Print out to the size you want your quilt to be, using any enlarger program that you have. Take a black magic marker and highlight the areas where the colors change. Get out your light box. Place your photo right side up and a piece of batting on top of that and trace photo onto your batting with a thin black marker.
I took out my hand dyed fabric scraps and started cutting and placing them while referring to my photo.
Don’t forget have your backing down first, then your marked batting, before you start placing your small scraps of fabric on top of the marked batting.
Once all the pieces are in place, carefully take a piece of black tulle and place on top of your piece. Pin heavily into place.
Last step is quilting then binding!
Thank you for stopping by! I hope to have this piece in my shop by Monday! Come on by and have a look ~ http://www.thebutterflyquilter.com
I have had this fabric for about two months that I really wanted to do something with. It is a beautiful dyed piece of fabric from Vicki Welsh. Here is her shop if you want to check her out:
I saw a painting of just squares set on a plain background. All the squares were different sizes and I thought that is what I will do, only piece them on a slight curve. Well when I finished piecing there was just too much white for me.
To much open space for me.
So I went thru my stash and found a batik that I liked with it. I decided to appliqué lines in different directions through the white. Then I went ahead and satin stitched them all in place with a deep purple that went with the darkest part of the dyed fabric.
Heat set all strips in place!
Satin Stitch in place!
After 12 bobbins I finally have all the satin stitching done! Yahoo. I then squared the quilt up. Remember I pieced it on a slow curve so nothing is square in the quilt. Basting and figuring out my quilt design comes next!
My Quiltsy Team on Etsy is having a giveaway. Please stop over and sign up to win some wonderful prizes. Enough to start your Christmas shopping and more!!! Come check us out! Just click on this link:
Now that I have learned a way to piece a wall hanging with a curve (look at last blog post # 8), I designed this beautiful original quilt called Solar Wind using this method. The finished quilt is seen below.
I wanted to do a smaller version recently using different fabrics. I always keep all my patterns so if I want I can go back make some changes or make a different size of the quilt.
Below is the pattern being copied onto freezer paper. All intersections are marked and registration marks are added also. Each piece is then cut out and ironed onto a piece of fabric on the wrong side. I then cut out each piece of fabric with at least 1/4 of an inch or bigger around the outer edges. Then I take a small scissor and clip around the edge going up to about 1/8 of in inch to the freezer paper. I then take a small paint brush and dip it in starch and get my seam allowance wet. I gently fold back my seam allowance away from the top to the back. Try not to fold the freezer paper. Using a light box I butt the two pieces together and pin a lot! **One piece has the seam allowance folded under the other does not.
Design on freezer paper
Once pinned I then use a small zig zag stitch with monofilament thread to stitch in place. It is like a puzzle.
Sewing the pieces together
After all of it is pieced I carefully remove the freezer paper and press the top. It is ready to quilt!
Solar Flare before quilting!
Solar Flare is Finished! With some embellishments added!