Well I finally decided what flowers I wanted to add to my background piece. I fell in love with this photo of an African Daisy. Trying to get the petals to fold and make three dimensional was by trial and error. Tried a couple of different methods before I settled on this one.
Cut two pieces of fabric out to a length that you would need for one set of flower petals. Lay one piece of fabric down on ironing board, then a piece of pellon fusible interfacing, then the second piece of fabric. Iron all three together.
Taking my template (after many tries to see what worked) I marked as many petals as I could fit with a water soluble blue pen.
Now carefully stitch with same thread and a satin stitch in the center area to hold in place.
I laid out the flower petals to see what it will look like.
Next will be another flower where the petals start to open more and then a full flower. I have to quilt the background first before adding the petals!
Too see some of my art quilts hop on over to thebutterflyquilter.com