Part Two of my Chickadee Tree Quilt ~ If you missed the first part here is a link!
I copied all my Chickadee photos onto fabric using my printer. A couple of them didn’t print all the way because I ran out of ink. I used these imperfect ones to try and figure out how I was going to do my threading of the birds.
Medium weight tear away stabilizer worked the best after trying a couple of different methods. Hardly any puckering when done. I was able to iron my birds flat. Note the back ground of the photo does not have any thread at this point.
After 9 plus hours, all my birds where done.
Next step was to use a light heat n bond to the back of each photo/fabric sheet and to cut out the birds, not square but a soft curve leaving some of the back ground of the photo. Before connecting the birds to the back ground dyed fabric, I laid them all out.
I found a batik fabric that I liked for the branches then ironed on some light heat n bond to the back of the tree fabric batik. I cut all the branches to connect the branches in the photo of that particular bird. Time consuming but I like the effect.
Once a section of branches where bonded to the back ground dyed piece of fabric, I then bonded the birds on top of the branches. My design plan changed, I just couldn’t cut up the back ground fabric. Just to beautiful!
I love the way this is coming along!