OK, so I am still working on my Geraniums, but almost done!!! When this project first started I didn’t realize how long this would take me or what obstacles I might have to over come. When I left off last week I was at the point of marking my quilt to show where the quilting lines were going to be.
I was able to mark most of the background with a water soluble blue marker. Now the blue flowers were a problem because the marker was not going to show up. So I needed to come up with another solution. I could use the purple marker that quilters use but the lines disappear after a certain number of hours. That wasn’t going to work because I would have the quilt sandwiched by then and would not be able to mark the quilting lines using my light box. I tried using a white pencil but that didn’t show up either!
After thinking about it I came up with this solution. It would take a while but it would work. I take my paper pattern and use my sewing machine with feed dogs down and darning foot for free motion quilting and a large needle to punch holes out of my paper pattern. Following where I wanted to quilt. I lay my quilt down with the paper pattern on top. I take my pounce filled with chalk and pounce over the pattern. When I removed the paper little dots showed up to show where to quilt.
I could pounce with chalk a section at a time. Once that was done I did the first round of quilting with white thread. This left a thread line to show where I was going to quilt heavier. Once that whole top was done this way I started my second round of quilting. A small free motion zig zag stitch. Almost like a satin stitch but more irregular.
This method took quite a while to do but I love the look of it when finished. I chose my binding which will be next, then I am going to be stitching down some stigma and stamen in the middle of the flowers to finish the piece.
I hope to finish it tomorrow to add to my store on Etsy.
Come on over and have a look. I have a sale for the Holidays going on right now at Thebutterflyquilter.com