Continued from my WIP project this week.
Well if you are a quilter you know that sometimes things just don’t go the way you planned! The problems began with my original design paper pieced blocks. I had done a couple of my blocks correct and laid them out on my design board. Then I walked away from them for a while.
I had precut all my fabric pieces and had just enough. Not a very good idea. As a quilter I would recommend always buy and extra 1/4 to 1/2 yard of fabric just in case. Did I follow this rule this time, No!
To make things go a little faster while I was talking to my friend on the phone, I was pinning my first two pieces of fabric to my paper pattern to sew. My gold/yellow pieces were almost square. There was a difference of about 1/2 inch. So I didn’t think about which direction to place them when I was pinning. If you ever paper pieced you just realized what I did. After sewing all 36 blocks, half of the the gold was off by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
My solution instead of taking apart all those blocks that I had sewn wrong was to just cut my blocks down to 8 x8 instead of 8 1/2 x 8 1/2. No problem. It worked out better because I decided I didn’t want to have to worry about having points anywhere that met.
Second problem: I had all my blocks ready to sew and thought I laid them in the direction I wanted to piece the rows. After sewing two rows when I went to put them together realized I had rotated all the blocks so it actually came out different then the above lay out!
I decided to just finish the quilt the way it was coming together. I actually like it a lot better. The orange doesn’t over power the quilt as much. But it would look OK the other layout also! Initially I wasn’t going to put a boarder on the quilt, but felt it needed it at the end. Sometimes things just work out!